Re: [META] Use of the list for non-Debian matters

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Lindsay Allen wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, John Foster wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > I've been thinking about the entire newbie/documentation thing a lot
> > lately. There has to be a way for newbies to get into the
> > /usr/doc/*/*gz files before they know about gzip, zcat and zless. And
> > there has to be a way of saying RTFM without being rude.
>
> Midnight Commander (mc) could fill this role.  As it happens the current
> version is broken to the extent that it does not know how to access .deb
> files.  There is a bug report on this which is a month old but mc is still
> useful as it can handle .gz files and the like.
>
> The bug is easily fixed, BTW.  mc_3.5.17-1.deb has two copies of mc.ext.
> One is right and one is wrong.  The "right" version is in the wrong place.
> If you have this problem mv /etc/mc.ext /etc/mc/

Good idea. Could a simple question "Are you new to Debian/GNU Linux?"
be added to the script for the first time run, so that access to mc
comes in immediately for the newbies. I guess it would require mc,
curses and some of the docs moving into base though, or for the answer
to the question to run dpkg (dpkg-ftp) after the system is installed.

Then mc macros could be added for the newbie, so that they have access
to those docs.

Opinions anyone?

John Foster

--

You are in a maze of twisty little HOWTOs, all gziped.