Installation fails to make hard drive bootable (1FA:)

I've noticed that the installation disks (for 1.3, although I think
the problem existed with 1.2 as well; its a long time ago, but I seem
to remember that 1.1 was OK) fail to make the hard drive bootable
without booting from a floppy as an intermediate step.

Since the machines concerned are now working for me, this post is just
to see if anyone else has found the same problem or if there is
something stupid I forgot. If this is bug, which package does
this count as for bug reporting purposes? base or boot-floppies?

Description of problem:
I start with a machine with a new hard drive.

I boot with the rescue disk, and follow the installation procedure
through to "Make Linux Bootable Directly From Hard Disk".
I say Yes to the "install a MBR on /dev/hda" question, then Yes to
"boot to Debian by default". No errors are reported.

I then skip over "Make a boot floppy" and go straight to "Reboot the
system". The system fails to reboot from the hard disk, displaying
  1FA:
where I would expect the LILO prompt.

If I make a boot floppy, reboot with it and then run lilo by hand, the
machine then reboots as expected from the hard drive.

I am using the 1.3 install disks (with NFS mounted base1_3.tgz), but
the same thing happened with the 1.2 install disks.

--

  Gilbert Laycock                 email:          gtl1@mcs.le.ac.uk
  Maths and Computer Science,     http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk/~glaycock