Re: Problem getting German Umlaute

On Jun 8, Stefan Baums wrote
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed Debian 1.2 on my notebook and everything went fine.
> Almost everything. While I am duly impressed by Debian's complex package
> management system and wide range of packages, I seem to fail in the
> simple task of getting it to display German Umlaute ("a, "o, "u, sz (if
> your mailer can handle them, they should look like this: ä, ö, ü, ß)),
> or, for that matter, any accented letters (´e, etc.). At install time I
> _did_ indicate, when prompted, a German keyboard. I read the
> German-HOWTO and tried "setfont lat1u-16.psf" and "loadkeys de-latin1",
> with the result that pressing the Umlaut keys produced beeps instead of
> funny characters, or vice versa. All the above is true of the text
> console; I haven't installed X. Funny thing is, when supposed to enter
> my user name at the login prompt, I _do_ get correctly displayed Umlaute
> on pressing their keys; then, of course, login tells me it didn't
> recognize my spelling exercise as a valid user; and on second trial at
> the login prompt it doesn't work anymore; neither does it at the console
> (I tried tcsh and bash); and emacs, too, doesn't recognize Umlaute (and
> yes, I did add the German-HOWTOs lines to my .emacs-file). Updating to
> Debian-1.3-development (from March) didn't do any good, either. Any help
> out there?
>
> PS. My Umlaute are rendered as follows: pressing "a results in d, "o in
> v, "u in |, sz in _, ´e in i, etc.
>
> At a loss,
> Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I haven't checked out yet why my setup does function while the one
from the German HOWTO doesn't. Here are the relevant parts of my
setup.

In /etc/profile or ~/.bash_profile
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE"
LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1
export LC_MESSAGES LC_CTYPE

Note that I didn't set LANG

In ~/.emacs
(standard-display-european t)

Please tell me if this does function for you too !

Greetings,

				Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: christian.meder@utoronto.ca