Wierd Modem Problem

I can't get Debian 1.2 to see my modem.  My mouse works, so it isn't just
the serial ports.  The modem works somewhat under win95, but every two
minutes it hangs for about two miutes, and sometimes you need to hold a
key down for a while to get it to register one press of that key.  It
isn't my universities server I'm typing this from a lab at school and no
problems or hangs.  Anyone have any idea what could be causing this or how
I could go about fixing it?  I have tried using setserial but I get a
device busy message on cua1, cua2, ttyS1, ttyS2, etc.  I am baffled.
Ideas or fixes most welcome, thanks.

I like six eggs when starting on a journey.  Fried - not poached.  And
mind you don't break 'em.  I won't eat a broken egg.
                                              -- Thorin Oakenshield