Re: Vid card memory

Dima wrote:

> >>Ralph Winslow wrote:
>  >I've recently added a 1Mb memory module to my Trident TGUi 9440 vid
>  >card, giving a totla of 2Mb.  I'd done this with the expectation that I
>  >could then use 600x800x2  (16-bit color = 2 bytes) = 960000 which is <
>  >1Mb.  But when I try this (forcing 600x800 in XF86Config) X tries to
>  >start and dies over and over (I must reboot from floppy).  Now my
>  >thinking is that 1Mb means 1MegaBit, so 600x800x16 = 7.68 Mbits thus no
>  >joy.  Have I finally got it right?  TIA for any light you all might add
>  >to the heat of my fevered brain.
>
> Horiz.Resolution * Vert.Res. gives you number of pixels on your screen.
> That times BYTES per pixel is VRAM requirements in BYTES.  That divided
> by 1024 and rounded up is VRAM in Kbytes.  7.68 Mbits / 8 / 1024 = 938 Kbytes.
> 960000/1024 = guess what.  :-)
>      (What I really don't understand is why VideoModes.[doc,html] was not
>       included in xbase v.3.2 package.)
>
> Are you sure 9440 works in 16 bpp?

I displays jpegs with better color and finer resolution. Is there a
better check
than my eyeball available?

> Did you try 24/32 bpp?

Yes, I got them by default, but <CTRL><ALT>+ and <CTRL><ALT>- (+ and -
on numeric
keypad) don't seem to be working.

> Is VRAM recognized (look at X startup messages)?

Yes, I've seen a message that implies that 2048Kb is available on the
vid card.

> Did you read the README (in particular, do you need
> to specify linear addressing)?

Which README are you referring to?  Any way, thanks for the reply - I'll
try to research what linear addressing is and how to specify it and let
you know how trying that works out.