Non-interactive modem hangup

Does anyone know a simple command or tool to hang up the modem? Just
hang it up, not stay connected to the tty and await more commands.

What I'm after is something simple I can put into a script for sudo
to kill the ppp daemon and also hang up the line, freeing /dev/ttyS1
immediately (rather than waiting for the ISP to idle out the line and
hang up on me).

The first part I've got figured out --

start-stop-daemon --stop --verbose --exec /usr/sbin/pppd

But there has to be an easier way to hang up the modem than writing a
chat script or something like that.

Does anyone have any ideas?

--
G. Branden Robinson