depmod failure

I've just built a new 2.0.30 kernel from source in stable and as the
last step ran depmod -a. This produced:

get_kernel_sys failed: Cannot find Kernel symbols.

I built as follows:

cd /usr/src/linux; make mrproper;make menuconfig;make dep;make
clean;make zlilo;make modules;make modules_install;depmod -a

I confirmed that /user/src/linux points at kernel-source-2.0.30/.  Any
clue would be appreciated.