Re: was Netscape Communicator: now programs that will crash your LInux box

> On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, James D. Freels wrote:
>
> > There is another program that will crash your Linux box: wordIMperfect.
> > Yes I'm talking about the native Linux wordIMperfect.  For example try
> > paging through a document that has alot of EPS graphics figures.  If
> > you do it "too fast", it will crash your system.  There are other ways
> > to do it also, some I don't know how to repeat.
>
> This might be a libc problem. That seems to have been the problem
> with Netscape Communicator. Graphic intensive pages seemed to be
> one of it's first noticed crash and reboot sequences.

A libc, netscape, WordPerfect problem should _NEVER_ crash linux itself.
(for the kernel, libc is just a part any application like netscape/gcc,etc,
so bugs in libc should, just like bugs in netscape, not crash linux).

Do you guys really mean crashing linux, as in a solid system crash, not
be able to telnet into your mashine, etc? Or just a sigseg of
netscape/whatever?

> > Today, I just discovered StarOffice.  I can already tell it is much
> > better than wordIMperfect.  Plus, you have all the other tools.  Now
> > if I could just find the documentation so I could learn how to use
> > it...
>
> As I understand it, the english documentation is not yet completed.
> You could learn another language or two ;-)

I speak Dutch, that's similar to German, but not enough to be able
to read it -- Yes, I've had German at school, and maybe enghough to be
able to read the documentation in emergencies, but not while I still
have Emacs/TeX.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#what's this? see http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/