Re: Installing Debian over Slackware Linux

Joseph B. Ottinger writes:
> Hi, all. I'm currently running a version of Slackware Linux (3.2,
> updated with the new kernel+libc and some other things). I'm still
> relatively new to Linux, so my question may be something that's already
> been answered or addressed. If so, please tell me where to look - I've
> looked at the install.txt and other documents and still I'm not sure...
>
> how to install Debian over a working Slackware distribution. My floppy
> drive doesn't work at the moment, and Slackware is currently supporting
> itself, albeit a bit creakily; is it possible to have my Linux box put
> in dselect (or whichever packages it needs) to slowly migrate over to a
> fully Debian installation?

You could install Debian all over the system at once using any
boot mechanism - you'll lose all your data.  Or you can migrate to
debian step by step.  If you want to do that, look out for a file
dpkg_1.<versio>.tar.gz which contains a non-debian binary.  This has
to be unpacked in /.  From that on you have dpkg and dselect installed
and can continue installing packages.

Regards

	Joey

--
  / Martin Schulze  *  joey@infodrom.north.de  *  26129 Oldenburg  /
 / If you come from outside of Finland, you live in wrong country /