Re: Network setup question again

> > Install the package tcpdump, and run `tcpdump -i eth0` to get a view of
the
> > packets being sent/received on the eth0 interface.  ......
> >
> Thanks for the advice. This time it really shows something!
> The IP setting on computer has no problem. Below is the
> output of 'tcpdump -i eht0':
>
> 20:34:35.812345 arp who-has 128.174.57.65 tell 128.174.57.79
> ... ( all such messages)
>
> 43 packets received by filter.
> 0  packets dropped by kernel.
>
> I also noticed that 'ifconfig' shows there are received packets.
> like 'Rx packets 43  errors 0 dropped  0 overruns 0'.
>
> So, is the problem occurs in kernel? I mean, the packets were
> received by card, but rejected by the kernel. So, it can not
> receive arp reply packets, thus can not connect to other computer?
> What is the next diagnostic step?

Is `ifconfig` showing received packets or sent packets? From the above, I
would assume sent and not received.  However, if so, then that rules out
cabling, NIC, or driver problems....

The `tcpdump` summary message you got is normal.  The "packets received by
filter" number is how many packets were detected going "across" the
interface.  The "packets dropped by kernel" indicates how many packets the
kernel dropped because it was unable to allocate processor time to analyze
the packet - this should be 0 unless you're on a really slow system
attached to a really busy network.

Is your netmask set to 255.255.255.0?

Later,

Kevin Traas