Network setup question again

Hi,

Can anybody tell me what is the problem if the computer cannot
receive packets from other computer? I set all the configuration
file and IP address, hostname seems ok. I can 'ping'  myself,
but not other computers, also I can not ping from other computer
to mine. I am sure the physical connection is ok.

I figured out that though all the IP setting are fine, it can
 not find the  MAC (physical ether address) for those computers.
What else can I do here?

Thanks for your help.

-ctang