Re: lpr: unable to get official name for local machine

For those of you following this here is an update.

It appears to be some sort of name lookup failure.  I can't figure it
out. When I try and print with lpr it fails with the error given in
the subject.  This turns out is just an indicator of something else.  I
have a stand alone machine that I dial in to my isp and run slirp to
emulate ppp.  So, I have given my machine a bogus name of
servis.snet.  Before I upgraded to 1.3 I could ping, finger, telnet,
etc to servis.snet.  Now nothing seems to be able to figure out what
servis.snet is.  My conf files are:

/etc/hostname
servis

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1                       localhost loopback servis.snet servis

/etc/resolv.conf
domain snet
search snet ecn.purdue.edu
nameserver 128.46.131.20
nameserver 128.46.131.20
nameserver 128.46.131.20

/etc/host.conf
order hosts,bind
multi on

/etc/init.d/network
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0

I don't know if named should be running or not.  If I start it with
the default config it tries to reach 198.41.0.4 in
/var/named/named.root and fails because I am not connected.  If I
start named when I have connected with ppp programs still do not
resolve what servis.snet is and give hostname failures. When I issue
'hostname' it returns 'servis' but if I call host name with any
commandline options it gives 'hostname: Unknown host' error.

PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT, EVEN IF IT IS TRIVIAL!

Thanks in advance,
Brian