Re: neXtaw

> I've installed neXtaw and the /etc/ld.so.conf is correctly configured. I'm
> not a programmer myself, but I used ldd to check dynamic libraries.
> However not all the programs used the new neXtaw. For example, xftp does
> but xbmbrowser and xterm do not. They do if I do LD_PRELOAD before hand.

No they don't (or if xterm does, you'll have found a another *GOOD*
reason to delay the release of bo another few weeks/months).

xterm is setuid root, so if you were able to specify what libraries xterm
uses by simply setting LD_PRELOAD, you'd be able to write your own
Xaw (or libc or whatever) wich will then run as root. Not a very good
idea.

I don'
t know about xbmbrowser (don't seem to have it on my system), but
maybe something similar.

> Also a lot of programs crash with neXtaw but not Xaw3d and Xaw. Is there a
> way to individually configure each program to use a certain library
> without using LD_PRELOAD.

Link them with the -rpath option, specifying the library you want it
to use.

> This is for configureing menus in Afterstep.
(This part I don't understand).

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#what's this? see http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/