Re: Help me to build a fileserver!!!

>   I want to build a small network using Linux as the fileserver and
> windows 95 computers as the clients. What I have in mind is something
> similar to what novell network do, but using Linux in the place of the
> novell server. I want to be able to map a linux partition in the server
> to work as a directory in the windows 95 computers. I tried to do that
> using the tcp/ip protocol but then I got realized that windows 95 do not
> have a client for UNIX networks using the tcp/ip protocol so, I have
> been unable to map.

Actually, you can do everything using TCP/IP - which is what I'd recommend.
 Rather than having the Linux box emulate a Netware server (which I think
is possible, but not sure), set it up with SAMBA.  This will allow peer
sharing just about like things work in a typical Windows workgroup
environment.  There is a HOWTO on this (see /usr/doc/HOWTO or
http://www.li.org/Resources/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html )

>   I heard that Linux can to use  the IPX protocol. I think that maybe I
> can to configure  Linux to emulate a novell network server and then
> configure the windows 95 computers as novell network clients. I'm
> writing this letter because I want to know how to configure Linux as a
> novell server or any other server that windows 95 has client for. If
> that is not possible I will appreciate if you email me telling that is
> not possible. I will also thank any other suggest of how to use Linux as
> a fileserver for windows 95 computers. The only think I do not want to
> hear is that I have to open a UNIX shell in the windows computers in
> order to have access to Linux server.

As I suggested, don't go the Novell route.  Things'll be *much* easier
using SAMBA.  And, no, you won't require a Linux shell to access things.
Using SAMBA is pretty much just like sharing between other Win computers in
a workgroup.

>   If you help me to learn how to configure the fileserver with Linux
> then I will write a howto under the terms of GNU to help others newbies
> like me to that.

See the HOWTO I mentioned above.  Someone's already done this for you....
;-)

Later,

Kevin Traas
Systems Analyst