Re: Help setting up a daemon

On Sat, 31 May 1997, Randy Edwards wrote:

>    I've been using fetchpop to grab my mail from my ISP.  I recently got
> diald up and working and now I want to run fetchpop as a daemon process.
> I've set up a script (using apmd as a guide) in /etc/init.d called
> fetchpop and it contains the following:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> #
> # Start or stop fetchpop as a daemon.
> #
>
> test -s /usr/bin/fetchpop || exit 0
>
> case "$1" in
>   start)
>     echo "Starting fetchpop as a mail daemon"
>     start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /bin/su -- redwards -l -c "/usr/bin/fetchpop -d -r -l ~/fetchpop.log"
>     ;;
>   stop)
>     echo "Stopping the fetchpop daemon process"
>     start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --oknodo --exec /usr/bin/fetchpop -- -q
>     rm /home/redwards/.lockfetch-golgotha
>     ;;
>   *)
>     echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/fetchpop {start|stop}"
>     exit 1
> esac
>
> exit 0
>
>    Then I went into each of the rc0.d through rc6.d subdirectories and
> created a symbolic link called K40fetchpop.  This link simply points to
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^S40fetchpop

S for start, K for kill, your are telling it to shutdown on startup!

> ../init.d/fetchpop.
>
>    If boot the system and log in as root, go into /etc/init.d and type
> "fetchpop start" the program works perfectly.  Likewise, a similar
> "fetchpop stop" works fine too.  But for some reason, the program isn't
> getting started automatically at bootup.  Can anyone see an error and/or
> tell me why/what I'm doing wrong?  If so, I'd greatly appreciate it along
> with any suggestions you might have.

: W. Paul Mills          : Bill, I was there several years ago.     :
: Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A. : Why would I want to go back tomorrow?    :
: wpmills@midusa.net     : Where were you!                          :
: paulmills@bix.com      : Linux:     Tomorrow's operating system,  :
: paulmills@aol.com      :            here, today.                  :
: compuserve 70023,1750  : #define MY_TRUE_LOVE computer            :
 --------------  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  -------------