Re: Help: Problem in setting up network

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997 cheng@fourier.csl.uiuc.edu wrote:

> I am trying to connect my compute to a LAN in the lab.
> The network card (NE2000 IRQ 03 0x300) works fine and is detecked by the
> kernel. After setting up all the stuff (/etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf,
> /etc/sysconf/network, ...), it still cann't recognize other
> computer when I use 'ping'.   However, I noticed that when
> setting up, there is a message saying there is something wrong with
> 'SIOCADDRT'.  And in file /proc/net/arp, all  the hosts (gateways,
> nameserver) all have hw-address to be 00 00 00 00 . So, what is the
> problem?

If you can't ping any hosts, your network interface probably doesn't work
properly. If your kernel detects the presence of a network card, that
doesn't necessarily mean that the kernel can make the card work. The error
message with "SIOCADDRT" is a clear sign of such a problem.

> Also, by setting the ether card, the mouse doesn't work anymore. Is
> this because of the ether card (IRQ 3)? is there any utility to
> detech this problem?

You have a interrupt conflict between your ne2000 and serial port. They
both try to own irq 3.

Since it is generally very hard to reassign the serial port irq, you'll
have to try to reassign the ne2000 irq.

This might be as easy as changing a jumper or running a "setup" program on
the driver diskette that is included by the manufacturer (unfortunately,
these often require you to be able to boot into dos.) Sometimes you need
to remove the interrupt conflict before you can reprogram the ne2000. In
that case, you have to temporarily disable the serial port in your bios
setup (or move the ne2000 to a machine that will allow you to do so if
this one doesn't.)

Maybe the card is plug-'n-pray. In that case check out the isaplugnplay
package.

Good luck,

Joost