Re: Debian quality

>    And, speaking of that, can I ask a stupid question?  Okay.
> What/where/when is Debian 1.3 going to be released?  I'm using 1.2,
> getting upgrades through the net with dselect in its default setup
> pointing at debian.org and the stable, non-free, and contrib
> subdirectories.
>
>    I read a fragment of one message somewhere that 1.3 is actually in the
> frozen subdirectory; is that true?  If I were to make my dselect point at
> stable, non-free, contrib, and frozen would that cause the upgrade?  Or
> should I wait until it's moved from frozen to stable (anyone know if/when
> that'll be?)?

Debian 1.3 will be released in a few days.  The version in frozen is
the "release candidate" - there shouldn't be any changes between the
version there right now, and the version that will be released in
a few days.  So go ahead and use it.

Just set dselect to point at: frozen non-free contrib

>    As a Debian newbie who's never gone through an upgrade process, I'd
> appreciate any wisdom, and details of standard procedures that anyone
> could shed on this process.

The only trick might be that you have to run the "Install" part of
dselect more than once to resolve all the dependencies.

Also, know what you are doing when dpkg asks if you want to replace
configuration files.

For people running an old Debian system (1.1) - you are supposed to do
the following before using dselect to upgrade:

    dpkg --clear-avail
    dpkg -i ldso_*.deb
    dpkg -i libc5_*.deb
    dpkg -i dpkg_*.deb dpkg-ftp_*.deb
    dpkg --purge --force-depends texbin

I'm extremely happy with the way Debian 1.3, it's a huge improvement
over 1.2.  I'm sure you'll like it too.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim