xdm???

I installed the xbase package from unstable/ as well as a lot of other X
packages.  I have X working fine, but I cannot seem to get xdm to work.
When I do a /etc/init.d/xdm start as root, xdm loads as a process, but the
X login prompt never appears.  Anyone know how to get this to work?

Jon
---
Jonathan B. Leffert <leffert@cs.uchicago.edu>
"Life is like a sewer.  What you get out of it depends on what you put into
it."  -- Tom Lehrer, "We Will All Go Together When We Go"
finger -l leffert@cs.uchicago.edu for PGP public key