Re: Re: InfoMagic's new LDR

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 1997, Portuesi Simone wrote:
>
> > I'd like just to add one thing to it, it'll be confortable (at least for
> > me) that the mirroring can be done from another computer. I'll explain
> > better: you che the Packages file on a PC connected to internet, bring
> > it to a PC not connected to the net, the script will determine the files
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^
> Sorry, I didn't followed this discussion in the past. What script
> would do such a job. I would like to have a automagical mechanism
> to update my box at home. This time I do it manually (using MC and
> compare each directory with the directories on a ZIP disk I updated on
> my net-connected PC.

This shouldn't be too hard to do, just by using mirror. You could also do
it by writing a sh or perl script to copy relevant files, but that will
involve doing a lot of comparisons on directory contents, filenames, and
debian package versions....in other words, here's an easy partial solution
- other methods are probably a lot harder :-)

Digression:

I always set up my debian mirrors so that it goes to ~ftp/debian. Then I
have a symlink /debian pointing to ~ftp/debian...the symlink is merely a
convenience to navigate the directories from the command line and it makes
it easier to nfs mount the mirror on any new machine i'm building:
'mkdir /debian ; mount -t nfs HOSTNAME:/debian /debian'.

Anyway, back to using mirror.

I'll assume you've already got mirror running, and that it is mirroring
debian to /home/ftp/debian. I'll also assume that your zip disk is
mounted at /zip.

What you need to do is create another mirror file in
/etc/mirror/packages. Call it, say, /etc/mirror/packages/zipdrive.
configure it that the remote_host is 'localhost', and remote_dir is
'/home/ftp/debian'. Also configure it so that the local_dir is /zip.

Zip drives aren't very big, so you'll have to be ruthless with exclude
patterns - set it up to get ONLY the distribution(s) you are interested
in (bo, hamm, frozen, stable, unstable, non-free, contrib, etc). Exclude
the source/, and msdos/ directories. flatten sym links. Also exclude
binaries you're not interested in - e.g. you can save a lot of disk
space if you're not running X or don't need any of the development
tools.

A jazz drive would be better :-)

Then run 'mirror -F /etc/mirror/packages/zipdrive'. Mirror will then
mirror your ftp archive of debian onto your zip disk.

When you get it home, mount the zip drive, tell dselect to use the
mounted file-system method, run Update from the menu, and then go
through the usual Select, Install, Configure cycle.

BTW, this will work even if you don't have a local ftp mirror of debian.
Instead of pointing mirror at 'localhost', point it at 'ftp.debian.org' or
your nearest debian mirror.

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract