Re: File version conflicts...

>On May 30, Curt Howland wrote
>>
>> Believe me, that was the first thing I thought of. Trouble
>> is, ftp.debian.org is exactly where I'm getting it from.

>Well, I just checked the version of libc5 and libc5-dev for every distribution on
>ftp.debian.org and they match, so your problem is elsewhere. You'll have to
>provide more information... what distributions are you installing? Using dpkg-ftp
>or something else? etc. Maybe the problem is caused by old files lying around
>under
>/var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/debian...

>  Christian

>PS Please keep the cc to debian-user. Other people might have a better clue as to
>the cause of your problem...

Ok, I'll be as specific as I can...

I installed from 1.44M floppies the images from /stable/i386/May-20-1997/
Using "dselect" that came on the system, and whatever may have been
downloaded and installed in the 4 times I've run "dselect". I agree, it's
a strange error to be getting.

The first time I ran "dselect", I got stuck in a "conflict" loop, and
just quit. after that, I used "Q" to move on to the download and
install, and received the version conflict errors. Most things seem
to be working anyway, except for the life of me I can't get "man" to
work. No matter what I do in "dselect", "bash: man: command not found"

Curt-
---
Curt Howland  Howland@Priss.com  http://www.Priss.com
    "The Probability Broach" by L. Neil Smith
ISBN:0-812-53875-7 Available from Laissez Faire Books
       http://www.lfb.org/   1.800.326.0996