Re: rwhod

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> Martin Schulze:
> > rwhod distributes it's information on _every_ interface which is
> > broadcastable. This includes loopback and eth0, and also sl0 and I
> > suppose ppp0, too. So if you run rwhod you should start it before
> > your link is up and before it notices that there are some more
> > broadcastable interfaces
>
> Oh. That changes everything. I do _not_ want rwhod sending info to my
> isp over my ppp link, which is up all the time anyway. Darn.

you could install a firewall rule with ipfwadm which stopped rwho traffic
from leaving your LAN.

ipfwadm is very useful - you can use it to stop all kinds of unwanted
things...rwho, junkmail from cyberpromo.com, etc.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract