Problems using 1542A SCSIadapter-driver with 1542CP

I friend of mine has an adaptec 1542CP SCSI adapter, and we're using
the standard 1542 driver that comes along with the linux distribution.
The adapter is recognized just fine, however when using a SCSI CDROM
through the adapter we get the following error message:

Warning: running low on SCSI DMA buffer space

(At least as I recall, I should have written it down).

The error crops up whenever we tranfer data from the SCSI CDROM
(such as through dselect when trying to install packages).

Anyone know what to do?  I notice this driver is geared toward
the 1542A SCSI adapter.  Is there a card geared for the 1542CP?

TIA

-- Harmon