1.3 Installation Report

Well, I brought myself to install 1.3 fresh on a computer of mine.

Pretty much everything went well -- the biggest surprise was that
the base disks, although there were 5 of them, offered *much* more
functionality this time around than ever before. Having elvis was
lovely, and I really appreciated the fact that the modconf on
the floppies worked well.

Just a few problems:

There's no longer an ipx.o in /lib/modules/2.0.30/misc, as well as
ncpfs being removed.

Why is this? There are several packages (ipx being one of them :)
that need ipx.o to be loaded, and without that and ncpfs.o, I
can no longer get to my Netware servers.

Obviously, the solution is pretty trivial (copy another 'puter's
modules, or compile my own) but why were they removed in the first
place?

Also, I noticed that the mime package was not a pre-dependancy of many
other packages, so bunches of things were pooping out when trying to
edit /etc/mailcap. A re-run of dselect fixed this, but again, why
should this be necessary?

Oh, and X didn't work the first couple of tries, but I doubt complaining
about it will get anywhere. ;)

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters C and M and the number 13.
"XTC versus Adam Ant -- which one will survive?" -- They Might Be Giants