Re: Had to reset, now in deep kimshee....]

> /usr/ is loaded into the second partition on my hard disk. The
> fsck for the second partition is occurring after all the module
> failures, so it seems perhapps that the book sequence has gotten
> messed up somehow, if the modules are loaded from /usr....

No, in /etc/init.d/boot I read that modules are supposed to be loaded
before the fsck. This is probably because some of the filesystems may
need those modules.

However, the modules aren't supposed to be loaded from /usr: they
are supposed to live in /lib/modules, and the insmod executable
is in /sbin, so there _should_ be no problem. Did you messabout
with your system?

> If I go back to the rescue floppy, how much damage can I do to
> the software already loaded? All I intend to do is to select and
> load modules....

Well, you _can_ do a lot of damage, but if you're carefull
and don't do things like "rm -rf /", then you probably will not
do too much damage. (But _DO_ unmount all filesystems before
the next reboot -- or if this fails atleast type "sync").

> Is there a fix that I am not aware of? Some way to reorder the
> fsck of /hda2 to occur before the module loads are tried?

See above -- should not be needed.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#what's this? see http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/