couldn't get a free page

I installed debian on my computer last week.   I left it sitting for the
weekend.  When I returned, I found the following message updating every so
often on my screen:  "couldn't get a free page"

When I hit enter, I get the following statement "Out of memory for bash" a
few seconds later "Out of memory for init appeared"

I am not sure what is going on.  I have 6MB of Ram and at least 16 MB of
swapping space on my HD for the program.

Please help

dblm