Re: /home was DESTROYED last night.

From: "R. Chris Ross" <RCROSS@ssnet.com>
> When I woke up this morning I went to check my E-Mail and found
> that everything in /home was gone.

Is /home mounted from its own partition? If so, perhaps it's just
unmounted because of some filesystem problem at boot time.

> "/" is mounted read only and there is a core dump in the / directory.

Yes, this is consistent with the system rebooting and not mounting all
filesystems because of some filesystem problem. You should be able to
run fsck on the various partitions to fix the problems, and reboot.

> WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON AND WHAT DO I DO TO FIX IT?

First, don't panic. It never makes this sort of situation easier.
You are most likely jumping to the conclusion that the data is "gone"
and it's just umounted.

> This surely doesn't give me a warm feeling about using
> a system like this as a server right now.

Don't be so sure it's a "system" problem. Who knows how many times
the power blinked, etc., while you were asleep.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502