Re: Conflict between Packages file and actual files

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Robert D. Hilliard wrote:

>      I can't locate documentation for dpkg-scanpackages.  How is it
> used?  Does it use the dpkg-ftp variables that are set by dselect?
> Where does it do with the Packages file it creates?
> Bob

You will need the archive to be local before you can run scanpackages, so
it will not help with an ftp install :-(
Asside from the archive, you need the overrides.<dist> file from the
indices directory on the archive.
The command line looks like:

	dpkg-scanpackages <path to binary-i386> overrides.bo >Packages

As the <path to binary-i386> will go into the Packages file, you should
execute the command from the top of the archive tree, specifying the path
to binary with respect to that location.

Hope this helps,

Dwarf