Re: Conflict between Packages file and actual files

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Thu, 22 May 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 May 1997, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > > In /frozen, the packages file shows:
> > >
> > > procmail_3.10.4-1.deb
> > > modconf-0.2.9.deb
> > >
> > > The actual files are:
> > >
> > > procmail-3.10.4-2.deb
> > > modconf-0.2.10.deb
> > >
> > This is a mirror sync problem. The packages file on master is correct.
> > Give the mirror you are using some time to catch up and try again, or, you
> > can crate your own, correct, Packages file using dpkg-scanpackages.
>
> I thought that might be the case, so I checked ftp.debian.org and got the
> same answer.  I ended up ftp'ing the two files and installing with dpkg
> rather than worry about dselect not accepting the packages file.

This is a continuous problem. I don't know why ftp.debian.org takes so
long to get in sync with master, but the problem simply propogates from
there to all the additional mirrors. Debian is the only distribution I
know that depends so heavily on the accuracy of one file.

My solution to this problem has always been to build my own package files
before I use the current archive. This has kept me out of trouble. The
other advantage is that you can install a "partial" archive with dselect
when you build your own Packages files.

Luck,

Dwarf