Network device module doesn't load at bootup

Hi !
I don't what I've broken, or if it comes from an upgrade, but my ne.o
doesn't get loaded at boot time. Rather annoying. I have to modprobe it
and to run /etc/init.d/network by hand each time.

I believe the is some error message at boot time, but even with
verbose=no in boot it goes away too fast and I can't read it.

All I managed to see was :
'a module named /lib/modules-2.0.30/net/8390.o already exists'

/etc/conf.modules and /etc/modules both look fine.

I use
kernel 2.0.30
debian 1.3
modutils 2.1.34-5

and a cheap isa ne2000 clone (driver is ne.o and depends on 8390.o)

any hint appreciated

Alexandre