debian libc5-dev installation version problem - my crude? fix.

1st of all I am not subscribed to this list cause the
subscription overwhelms me with it's huge number of
postings. So if you reply be sure to reply to me
directly<dsrekjw@prism.gatech.edu> and also to the list
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>. I like using the monthly
archive better than subscription.
------
I have been trying to install Debian 1.3 from the ftp.debian.org
site. I get an error when dselect tries to install libc5-dev.
It depends on the previous installation of
libc5 version 5.4.20-1 but version 5.4.23-3 is what
was installed. Apparently the version test for the installation of
libc5-dev has the = sign instead of >= sign for checking the version
of libc5. So the installation is rejected.

So I got around this by editing the /var/lib/dpkg/status file.
I went to the point in the file where the libc5 version was
recorded. I edited the version number to 5.4.20-1. It worked!
OK, it worked so far cause I haven't seen a problem with it yet.

Had to do the same thing to get libreadline2-dev to install.

OK experts, did I do good or at the very least, good enough?
Was there an easier or better way?
Are problems going to crop up in the future because of my
hack? Could I have gotten around this problem by using
dpkg commands directly instead of dselect? Was there a way in
dselect to force the installation anyway?

-joew