Re: Help with IP masquerading

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Lars Hallberg wrote:

> Craig, sorry, got to ask You one thing...
>
> Humm, I use diald. It do for some reason lose the first package
> on a new fresh conection. My ugly workaround is to have no
> local nameresolving and the nameserver listed multiple times in
> /etc/resolv.conf. This way the first nameresolving atempt fails, but
> brings up the link, the nemeresolving is then retryed (thanks to
> multipel entrys in resolv.conf) and evrething comes upp as expected.
>
> This ugly workaround is expensiv as I cant have any lokal
> nameresolving. Much iritating as my ISP's DNS is frekvently down...

I don't use diald, but here's an idea that may help. It's untested, and
i have no way of testing it. It's worth trying, though...it might help,
and it certainly can't hurt to try it.

    Instead of listing the remote nameserver several times in
    /etc/resolv.conf, try listing the local (127.0.0.1) nameserver
    several times. It may also help to list your ISP's nameserver as a
    forwarder a few times in /var/named/boot.options (but probably not).

This should (I hope) achieve the same result, with the added advantage of a
local DNS cache.

BTW, Don't run bind in slave (forward-only) mode if your ISP's
nameserver is flaky...actually if your ISP can't even get a nameserver
to run properly, you should consider finding one who can.

DNS is a 'mission-critical' network service. It is something that
is worth putting in a lot of effort to fix if it's broken - if your
name server is unreliable, then EVERYTHING else on the network which
depends on it (i.e. almost every network related program) is going to be
unreliable.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract