Re: Newbie Question (sorta :)

I found it pretty easy:

look in /lib/modules/2.0.30/net and see if the module that you need is
there, if it is, edit /etc/modules to comment out the incorrect module,
enter the proper one on a new line and reboot.

If it is not there and if you have kernel source installed, go to
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net and look at the source for the module to see if
it has an example compile line at the top or at the bottom of the source
file.  Compile it, do a manual insmod to make sure that it installs OK, if
it does, copy the .o file to /lib/modules/net and enter the line in
/etc/modules as above and reboot. An example compile command can be found
at the end of the 3c59x.c file (for example).

if all that fails, make a kernel.

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Adam Shand wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I was getting a new unix trainee to install debian today for the first
> time.  They muffed choosing the right module for the ethernet card and made
> it all the way through the install.
>
> The question is: Is there any way to get back to the screen with the menu
> interface for loading modules into the kernel once you are done with the
> install or is it a once only sorta thing?
>
> It would make their life easier... otherwise I'll just start teaching them
> how to recompile the kernel :)
>
> Adam
>

> --

George Bonser