Re: Metrolink Motif

Alex Yukhimets:
> I myself got some strange numbers instead of some real users (like root)
> and groups (like bin). It happend with both rpm and tar archives.
> After I upgraded tar from 1.11.8-11 to 1.12-1 I managed to get reasonable
> ownerships (bin/bin) but only with tar archive. rpm still gives strange
> numbers.
>
> I used alien_3.3 to convert rpm to .deb, but since ownerships were still
> bad,

What't the problem with the ownerships? Is it just that the deb and tar file
have users in them that arn't present in debian? If you use alien, it should
clean that up so everything is owned by root.root.

> I just made a simple slackware .tgz package, it is not hard at all,
> you just have to modify motif.install file to look like slackware's
> doinst.sh and repack everything in a single motif-2.0.1.tgz file.
> After that I again used alien_3.3 to convert that to .deb.
>
> !!!! Suprisingly, alien_5 didn't work for this purpors. It does not
> convert .tgz packages properly. (after installation I still have /install
> directory). - Does anyone have any idea why?

Probably because my slackware .tgz support is broken (I maintain alien).
I'll grab a couple of .tgz packages and see if I can get this fixed.

--
See shy Jo.