Re: Connecting linux to an ISP

In your email to me, The Good ol' tavo =\), you wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_01BC6536.025203E0
>
> Anybody knows exactly how do i configure my modem, my dialup connection, =
> and the password and user name to connect to my isp and surf the =
> internet?

Try this for starters..

# /etc/ppp/options
#
# $Id: options,v 1.4 1996/05/01 18:57:04 alvar Exp $
#
# Originally created by Jim Knoble <jmknoble@mercury.interpath.net>
# Modified for Debian by alvar Bray <alvar@meiko.co.uk>
# Modified for PPP Server setup by Christoph Lameter <clameter@debian.org>
#
# Use the command  egrep -v '#|^ *$' /etc/ppp/options to quickly see what
# options are active in this file.

## Change the next line to point at the serial port that your modem
## is attached to. Do *not* use the cua ports
/dev/ttyS1

## Default speed. Higher speeds can be obtained by setserial
38400

## This is the bare connect script. This should work most
## of the time.
connect "chat ABORT BUSY \"\" ATDT9999999 CONNECT"

## Make our ppp connection our route to the world
defaultroute

## We don't have a address we prefer to use.
noipdefault

## THIS IS IMPORTANT!! This must be the name you use for
## authentication for PAP. The password must be contained in
## /etc/ppp/pap-secrets which should be ***mode 600***
## THIS FILE CONTAINS YOUR CLEAR TEXT PASSWORD
## DO NOT MAKE IT WORLD READABLE!!!!
name sailer

## for the above 'name' option to work, you must have a pap-secrets file
## that looks like
##
## sailer * mypassword
##
##

asyncmap 0
crtscts
lock
modem
-chap

## Lets turn off vj header compression and bsd compression
## These seem to cause more problems than they are worth
## trying to get ppp working the first time. When you
## get ppp working, try commenting them out to see if you
## can get the slight performance gain they provide.
-vj
-bsdcomp

## These 2 lines provide a way to check to see if your
## ppp connection is actually still responding. As
## provided below, every 30 secs it will ping the remote end,
## and kill ppps after 4 *consecutive* failures.
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4

## If you want to maintain a constant connection
## uncomment out this line.
# persist

# With this option, pppd will accept the peer's idea of our local IP
# address, even if the local IP address was specified in an option.
#ipcp-accept-local

# With this option, pppd will accept the peer's idea of its (remote) IP
# address, even if the remote IP address was specified in an option.
#ipcp-accept-remote

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
        "A desk is a dangerous place from which to view the world."