Re: 'w' works, 'who' does not...

Jon Valesh <jon@exo.com> writes:
> I have a set of servers running debian 1.2 as downloadable from a mirror
> site today. There are two servers, using NIS to distribute user
> information.
>
> >From either system, if I type 'who', all I get back is a command prompt.
>
> If I use 'w', I get the correct data.
>
> I accedentally installed everything available from 'unstable' on both
> systems yesterday.

This is due to problems with the `/var/run/utmp' file: libc5 and libc6
use different formats.

  `login', which is the primary(?) generator of utmp entries, is still libc5
   (BTW, does `xterm' generate utmp entries, or does it use `login' to do
   the dirty work?  Anyway `xterm' is also libc5)

  `who' is from `shellutils', which was recently upgraded to libc6

  `w' is from `procps', which is still libc5

This causes other interesting anamolies:

  $ echo $LOGNAME
  harinath
  $ echo $USER
  harinath