Re: Xwindows running finally!! what's next?

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Tan Wee Yeh wrote:

> > twm &
> [background processes snipped]
> > xterm -title "Measun10" -geometry 80x40+30+200 -ls
>
> Just a little comment (for discussion).  Normally, I
> will prefer to put twm (or whatever windows manager)
> as the last process (let the others be background).
> This causes the window manager, rather than other
> processes, to be the anchor process, so that X kicks
> the user off when the windows manager quits.  I wonder
> if this is a good practice.

I've gotten bitten enough times (having just set up a friend's machine and
not fully tested it yet) with the window manager as the final process but
didn't yet have my mouse working.  I'd often have to forcibly kill X,
which I tend not to like to do.  If I'm using my normal fvwm, I can (once
I remember the default keys)drive my cursor by keyboard and exit an xterm,
but there isn't much option for killing the window manager by keyboard.

For the curious, here's a (slightly trimmed) version of my .xinitrc:

#! /bin/sh
#

# first things first.
#
# xhost - allows x clients onto this server.
xhost coral reef templinux

# Backgrounded jobs process in parallel.
#
# xclock - self explanatory
xclock -bg black -fg red -hd white -update 1 -geometry 96x96+3+809 &

# xbiff - visual "new mail".
xbiff -update 3 -volume 0 -bg black -fg blue -geometry 96x96+110+809 &

# xsysinfo - kernel activity/usage indicator
xsysinfo -geometry 206x100+0-0 &

# fvwm - window manager
fvwm &
xearth -proj merc &

# xautolock...automatically xlocks when unused for ten minutes
xautolock -locker "xlock -mode maze" &

# xcon - symlink to xterm (allows for different behavior in .fvwmrc
xcon -geometry 80x6+216-0 -T "daemon.log" -n "daemon.log" -e tail -f /var/log/daemon.log &

# NON BACKGROUNDED:
# this script (and therefore xinit) finishes when
# this process ends.

# xcon - symlink to xterm (allows for different behavior in .fvwmrc
xcon -C -geometry 80x6+711-0

---end of included script---

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr.                   Client Services Analyst
Computer & Communication Services       tel: (717) 524-1590