Re: Installing Debian Linux on a new system w/out MSDOG

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

> I'd recommend creating a partition for MS-DOS right away.
> No need to actually install it till required.

Agreed. Dos/Win/NT want the first partition of the first drive to be
"their" boot file system. So decide what you want for DOS and build the
partition (from a DOS rescue disk that has fdisk) with fdisk (msdos
version) before you do any linux work.

> --
> Jean Pierre
>
> On Mon, 19 May 1997 adavis@saipan.com wrote:
>
> > I'm waiting for parts to arrive for a new system.  I can probably get a copy
> > of MSDOG, but I'd like to avoid this.  Eventually it will perhaps be
> > necessary to install Windows 95 or Windows NT and MSDOG, but to begin with,
> > I will install Linux.

Ok, with the above proviso.

> > I expect to be able to create the installation disks for Debian on my
> > long faithful machine electra.  Can I reasonably expect to pull this off
> > without installing DOS at all?  Can I format the disks from the install
> > disks?  Can I partition them, all that?

The installation/rescue disk has all the tools for partitioning drives and
creating file systems and are intended to work without any pre-existing
os.

> > Another question, out of curiosity: will it be feasible to install Windows95
> > later on?  Will it stomp on the linux system?  What about DOG---can I
> > reasonably expect to install that AFTER linux, without a problem?

No problem with dos, however win95 doesn't play well with others and will
probably break any mbr/lilo configuration you have for linux. Be sure to
have a boot disk handy for getting back into your linux system. Neither
msdos, windows3.1, or windows95 knows anything about a linux partition.
They usually just ignor the "unknown" partitions. Just make sure all the
dos partitions are first and the remaining partitions will not cause
problems.

> > Better still, can I run DOSEMU without having MSDOG installed ever at all?

This is still developement software and applicability to your needs may
vary from case to case.

> > I have a few programs like skyglobe and another astronomy sky disply
> > program, HYPERSKY, that I would like to run, as well as several other
> > programs.  I guess I would really need Windows 3.1 to run that on DOSEMU?

You might also look at wine. This is still very early stuff, but does run
some win progs.

Luck,

Dwarf