Re: Removing stubborn package

Thank you all for your pointers to TeX/LaTeX references, but can
someone now tell me how to force the removal of the xypic package?
dpkg -i tetex-base_etc tells me what to do to remove it, but it
doesn't work at all. Here is the output:

#  dpkg --purge --force-depends  xypic
(Reading database ... 23313 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing xypic ...
dpkg: error processing xypic (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
 xypic
#

Is there a way to tell dpkg to remove all references to xypic from the
database, regardless of the presence of files, which are gonna be
replaced by tetex anyway? Thanks again.
-lars
--
My sig file is only one line long!