Postgres95 installation questions.

When I tried to install postres95 I received the following error messages:
================================
mkdir: cannot make directory `/var/lib/postgres95/base': Permission
denied
mkdir: cannot make directory `/var/lib/postgres95/base/template1':
No such file or directory
initdb: could not create template database initdb: cleaning up.
====================================

I then created /var/lib/postgres95/base/ and
/var/lib/postgres95/base/template1 manually and changed the ownership
and access to postgres.  That did not solve the problem. initdb would
still not succeed.  How should I proceed from here?

Second question: How do I use the login "postgres' which was created
in my /etc/passwd file by the installation-process?  I cannot log in
as "postgres" because I do not have the password.

createuser must be run by postgres if I understand it correctly.

Help will be appreciated.

Johann.

jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za

Windsorlaan 19