Re: getting the modem to work.... and PPPD

On Sun, 18 May 1997, Tj Johnston, N4UYQ wrote:

> Attempting to get PPP dialup working so that I can use FTP to install
> additional packages.. I've set up for ppp_on_boot.
>
> The following error was received:
>
> /dev/modem: unrecognized command

Find the reference in the script and change it to /dev/ttyS1 (if your
modem is on com2)

> I assume the system is attempting to run pppd with /dev/modem as the
> communications device... unfortunately it appears that /dev/modem has not
> been defined... How do I define it? also I was playing a little, and ran
> pppd with /dev/ttys1 and received this error also:
                    ^This should be S (capital)

> Sorry - this system lacks PPP kernel support

This error message is returned eroneously when the port can't be accessed
for one reason or anther. Try /dev/ttyS1 and see how it works.

Luck,

Dwarf