Debian 1.2 installed... Need internet access... now what?

I recently installed Debian 1.2 on my 586-100 home machine... no problems
to speak of, except not knowing what command line options, if any, should
have been incuded when configuring modules/drivers...

but on to the real question....

I'm a complete newbie to Linux... I would like to have FTP, IRC, and WWW
browsing capabilities, for starters... I also understand there are several
packages useful to Amateur Radio...

Now the question... DSELECT has the option of installing packages via
FTP... How do you do this, when the packages needed to communicate via
modem and FTP arent installed yet?? Are are they???? and what packages do I
need??

I have fallen into this hole.. so to speak... all this processing power and
nothing to do yet.....  it just sits there at the command prompt... time to
put this puppy to work...

If there is anyone in the the Richmond, Virginia area... holler loudly...
will trade beer for knowledge!!! :)

72/73,
         Tj Johnston, N4UYQ (Tech+) QRP-L member #1057
            formerly KA4GVW (Novice)
         Ashland, Virginia (Hanover County) FM17gs
         Richmond Amateur Telecommunications Society
         http://www.rats.net