Re: Debian 1.2 installed... Need internet access... now what?

On Sat, 17 May 1997, Tj Johnston, N4UYQ wrote:

> but on to the real question....
>
> I'm a complete newbie to Linux... I would like to have FTP, IRC, and WWW
> browsing capabilities, for starters... I also understand there are several
> packages useful to Amateur Radio...

Don't know about the radio packages.

> Now the question... DSELECT has the option of installing packages via
> FTP... How do you do this, when the packages needed to communicate via
> modem and FTP arent installed yet?? Are are they???? and what packages do I
> need??

If you have your connection up just go into dselect/access and set up the
ftp options.  dselect has it's own version of ftp.  Use ftp.debian.org,
anonymous login, debian directory, stable non-free contrib, accept debian
as the local directory.  Then go to update, get the lists, clear old
lists.  Then go to select and accept the default packages (enter) don't
bother changing anything the first time.  Go to install, d/l the packages,
recycle throught the install phase until dependency errors stop (don't
worry about them) and the system is completely installed.

> I have fallen into this hole.. so to speak... all this processing power and
> nothing to do yet.....  it just sits there at the command prompt... time to
> put this puppy to work...

If you need any more help just email me.

L8R,

--Rick

Unsolicited commercial/propaganda email subject to legal action.  Under US
Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C), and Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a
State may impose a fine of NOT LESS than $500 per message.  Read the full
text of Title 47 Sec 227 at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html