Re: Other remote passwd servers?

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Karl Ferguson wrote:

> Hi...
>
> Other than NIS itself, are there any other NIS-like administrations out
> there?  From and administrators point of view, NIS works great - but users
> can simply examine the passwd file by using ypcat (sure, all be-it a
> mangled passwd field) - is there any way to stop that? (Hence my question
> for other NIS-like things).

There's DCE, Distributed Computing Environment, from OSF.  It is a very
powerful system (so I've read) for tying multi-platform networks together
under one authentication service.  Our varsity's about to dive in and use
it.  Unfortunately I don't know if there is a Linux client for it.  It is
touted as "vendor neutral", and has a fairly impressive list of supported
platforms:
	AIX
	AT&T GIS
	Cray Unicos
	.
	.
	.
	Digital Unix
	HP-UX
	Irix
	.
	.
	.
	SCO
and on it goes.  It also includes NT, Macintosh and other non-unixes.  I'm
really bummed out that Linux is not in this list (but maybe the list I
have is incomplete?).  Maybe, just maybe, the SCO version could be
persuaded to operate in Linux via iBCS, but I've no idea what that
entails...

Richard Shepherd (richards@waikato.ac.nz)