Re: Need Help with Ensoniq Soundscape VIVO90

You are in luck 2day! I have an Ensoniq Soundscape ViVo90 PnP card, with
a Debian Linux 1.2 system. Kernel 2.0.29. I have gotten everything
except for midi to work. I just played around until I got it right, or
partially so. (because the sound doc's said the Soundscape card I had
was not yet supported.) I did have to use isapnptools to initialize the
card. (I am going by memory here, if ya want me to dig through the
details to be sure, or maybe we can both do more to make my midi work
too... contact me by private email: rlynn@ocean.st.usm.edu)

I got the isapnptools debian package, from somewhere, then put it in the
place where unknown packages go for the "ftp install" feature of debian.
then ran package manager, and finally got isapnptools installed. then i
ran somthing or other from the pnptools to generate the pnptools config
file, which lists every possibility of settings for all your pnp cards.
Luckily I only have 2 sound card and modem. (and my modem obviously
works perfectly !!! :)) The modem also is one of the new kind that
sounds thru sound card instead of it's own buzzer, and after the
pnptoolz fix, I could finally hear the modem dial! b4, it would dial,
but I couldn't hear it.)

Ok next you gotta go through the generated config file and uncomment the
lines that contain the settings that you want to use. I also run Win95,
so I let it do all the work of dealing out the irq's and such. I then
went into the hardware profile and made notes on which cards had what
irq, dma, io, etc. then went back in Linux, edited the isapnptools
config file accordingly to uncomment the correct lines. then I set up
the isapnptools to run at startup by doing something to one of the
/etc/rc.d directories. You're smart, you werk at Cray, you can do it!!!
:P

Oh someone also told me i had to do extra initialization with a short
proggie called
ssinit.c with a flash rom file, but I never could get the damned thing
to work.
Probably didn't have the right rom file. So I've never fooled with it
again.
I can hear my Modem dial thru speakers, Au's playing from the web and
even WAV files, so something is working. By Grace from Linus maybe.

And don't FUCK with the BIOS setup, except to turn off SHADOW RAM, Linux
does a better job of totally reworking the BIOS code anyway, so why
shadow substandard code when U can replace it ALTOGHTHER! =) You can
Leave the "Plug and Play OS" setting to "YES" it seems to werk fer me!!

Oh yeah, next month (June 7th and 8th) is Atlanta Linux Showcase '97. Be
there or be uncool. Linus is gonna give a talk about the innards of the
kernel. and Maddog from DEC gonna talk too about the Alpha port. And one
of the Sparc porters will be there too. (Miguel de Icaza - also gave us
Midnight Commander) check it out here:
http://www.ale.org/showcase/     I'm gonna be there R U???? :))

R. Brock Lynn
rlynn@ocean.st.usm.edu
USM (Home of the Glenda Project, the Free version of Linda)
Contact Ray Seyfarth at seyfarth@sushi.st.usm.edu for more info! He's my
prof.