Re: dpkg install problem

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Ken Lauffenburger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> OK you dpkg experts, what is the best way out of this one:
>
>     gecko# dpkg -i gzip_1.2.4-15.deb
>     (Reading database ... 2582 files and directories currently installed.)
>     Preparing to replace gzip 1.2.4-15 (using gzip_1.2.4-15.deb) ...
>     Unpacking replacement gzip ...
>     install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory
>     dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 2
>     dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
>     install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory
>     dpkg: error processing gzip_1.2.4-15.deb (--install):
>      subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 2
>     install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory
>     dpkg: error while cleaning up:
>      subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
>     Errors were encountered while processing:
>      gzip_1.2.4-15.deb
>      gecko#
>
> This occurs while attempting to re-install the broken package gzip.  I
> believe the package became broken because I ran out of space on my root
> partition while installing several packages, gzip among them.  Since this
> is a secondary system with a small drive, I decided to jetison all the
> man, info (GNU info, not dpkg), and doc files to free up space.  Maybe
> this is what dpkg is complaining about now.  Or maybe some dpkg info
> files were not able to be updated when the partition was full.

Removing the info package probably the culprit. You probably wish to keep
the man package and the info package (you can ditch the manpages package
if you really want to. It contains all the docs that fill up the disk), as
other packages will attempt to install info and man pages and will have
problems like you saw with gzip.

Luck,

Dwarf