dpkg install problem

Hello,

OK you dpkg experts, what is the best way out of this one:

    gecko# dpkg -i gzip_1.2.4-15.deb
    (Reading database ... 2582 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace gzip 1.2.4-15 (using gzip_1.2.4-15.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gzip ...
    install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory
    dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 2
    dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
    install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing gzip_1.2.4-15.deb (--install):
     subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 2
    install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory
    dpkg: error while cleaning up:
     subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
     gzip_1.2.4-15.deb
     gecko#

This occurs while attempting to re-install the broken package gzip.  I
believe the package became broken because I ran out of space on my root
partition while installing several packages, gzip among them.  Since this
is a secondary system with a small drive, I decided to jetison all the
man, info (GNU info, not dpkg), and doc files to free up space.  Maybe
this is what dpkg is complaining about now.  Or maybe some dpkg info
files were not able to be updated when the partition was full.

The system runs fine now .  In fact, it seems that the updated gzip package
that dpkg thinks is broken is actually installed and executable.  Two
other packages in this same state are ldso and tar.  I'm not too
worried about gzip and tar--I can just ftp those executables from my
other system and forget about dpkg--but everything depends on ldso, and
I can't get dpkg to install most other packages.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

--ken