Re: Xwindows packages which one???

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Alberto Ruiz wrote:

> I tried installing xbase, but it selects xserver-vga16 and xfonts as
> dependencies.  Do I need to install xbase by itself first and ignore the
> dependencies?

No! Xbase depends on an xserver and the default xfntbase. You should let
dselect install them for you when it installs xbase. That is what
dependencies are for, to insure that the necessary packages are installed
before you try to use the new package.

> I think I need more information. I'm new to linux...

I can suggest "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh and Lars Kaufman as a good
book for someone new to Linux. It's a good general introduction to Linux
and its features. However in this case you are dealing specificly with the
Debian packaging system. I am sure that once you become familiar with how
things work, you will be pleased with the control this gives you over your
system.

Please feel free to continue asking questions in this forum. It's what it
is here for.

Luck,

Dwarf