Installationreport 1.3 (Not really, just some remarks)

Yesterday, I made a testupgrade from 1.2.14 to frozen on my machine at
home and basically, everything went smoothly - big 'THANK YOU!' to the
developers.

The only real flaw was that '/tmp' had the wrong permissions after the
upgrade. Is this ancient bug really still lurking out there? <shudder>
;-)

Another strange thing I noticed after the upgrade was that, while
booting, syslogd takes pretty long to come up (about 5 - 10 s). (That is
after 'syslogd' has been printed on the screen it takes at least that
amount of time until something happens and 'klogd' is printed. Any idea
what the reason could be?

Regards,

	Andree

PS: For the upgrade I used a Zip-Drive which did work very well: I
copied the whole /var/lib/dpkg tree to a Zip disc put it into another
computer with network connection made /var/lib/dpkg on this machine a
link to the disc and used dselect to update and download the new
packages (about 70 MB). Then I interrupted the install procedure, took
the disc home and continued the installation to install the new packages
on my home machine.
--
                     | Institute of Geophysics   phone: +49 40 4123 4389
 ANDREE LEIDENFROST  | University of Hamburg       fax: +49 40 4123 5441
    Geophysicist     | Bundesstrasse 55      e-mail: leidenfrost@dkrz.de