Re: Re: InfoMagic's new LDR

> Even better would be a tool for the end user with ftp/http capability
> to compare his CD against the current image over the internet and
> pick up any updates automatically.  How about something that built
> a symlink tree on the HD with all symlinks initially pointing to the
> CD copy of each file, then using a directory with timestamps and
> CRC's update the files that differ?   You might also want a brute-force
> approach that re-read the file's sizes and timestamps at both ends like
> the perl mirror program so the same thing would work for other CD
> distributions that didn't have a matching directory file or if you
> suspect those files are corrupt.
>
> Les Mikesell
>   les@mcs.com

I'd like just to add one thing to it, it'll be confortable (at least for
me) that the mirroring can be done from another computer. I'll explain
better: you che the Packages file on a PC connected to internet, bring
it to a PC not connected to the net, the script will determine the files
changed, missing or corrupt from the distribution at home, write a list
to a file or even genarate a script. Bring it then to the first PC
connected to the net and get the packages files through ftp, substitue
at the second PC.
It looks complicated and clumsy but will help people (like me :) ) that
don't have a PC connected to the internet but can connect from another
PC to update their off-line system automaticaly.

					Just an  idea,
					Simone Portuesi