Re: Help- fdisking large IDEs for Win95/Debian

On Mon, 12 May 1997, Ken Gaugler wrote:
> Having moved my Debian system from a 850Meg IDE to a 1.2 Gig IDE that
> had been previously used for Win95 [I know, but I _have_ to use
> Win95 for certain apps], it appears that the partition table is
> really messed up.
>
> Using LBA in the BIOS settings, Debian seems to be happy with it,
> but DOS/Win95 doesn't report the sizes correctly.  If I use Extended
> CHS for the BIOS, DOS/WIn95 is happy but Debian is not.

Sounds as if you're just casually switching between ECHS and LBA. This is
very risky, from what I understand. You could mangle the whole disk
contents if you're unlucky.

Perhaps it might be worth reading the EIDE ATA FAQ whose home page is
http://thef-nym.sci.kun.nl/~pieterh/storage.html

> At this point I am beginning to think that for a 2-disk system, I
> should make the first one Win95 exclusively, and make the second
> one strictly a Linux disk (and use LBA on the Linux disk).

That's what I'm doing at the moment, but I don't think my methods will
apply because my Win95 disks are a mere 170MB (the University gives
these away nowadays) and my Linux disks are SCSI.
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151